At the turn of the 20th century Windham was still primarily an agricultural town. During that time Walter Drucker operated a grist mill in West Windham. He also operated a small grain store separate from the mill in West Windham. According to "Rural Oasis", Drucker operated his grain and gristmill using power harnessed from the adjacent Beaver Brook. However, that mill burned during a fire in the winter of 1896. A new mill was then constructed by the railroad and power was obtained from the brook using a wire belt and pulley system. After just a few years of operation the mill burned again and both the dam and mill were built in 1900 by Mr. Anderson.
Leave a Reply.
Derek Saffie is an avid Windham historian who enjoys researching and sharing his collection with all those interested in the history of the New England town.