In 1946, Fred and Geneva Fairneny purchased a five-acre parcel of land, with buildings, located on Route 28 in Windham. It was at this location that the Fairnenys opened Fairneny's Barbecue, which served "food for many years to the traveler as well as local people." The building which housed the restaurant is depicted on the back cover of an advertising matchbook (shown above on the left). Another vintage matchbook advertises the "curbside service" offered at the "Bar-B-Q" restaurant, which featured a menu including "Syrian Salad" and "Lamb-On-The-Stick." In 1956, following the passing of Fred, the widowed Geneva sold the property.
Derek Saffie is an avid Windham historian who enjoys researching and sharing his collection with all those interested in the history of the New England town.