The Gulf gas station located at the store was a two pump operation, and provided gas and oil to motorists. Although the gas prices are unreadable in the postcard, the price of gas would have been approximately 11 cents at the time the photograph was taken.
Below is an original ca. 1940 receipt from Gurry's Store. It looks to have been signed by James Gurry upon receipt of payment.
As noted on the receipt and the postcard image, the store also served as the Canobie Lake Post Office, of which Grace Gurry was the postmaster. She became postmaster in 1937, and remained at her post until the Canobie Lake Post Office itself closed in 1963. The post office was originally located across the street at Mason's Store, but when Franklin Roosevelt became President, his administration appointed a Democrat to take the place of the former Republican postmaster.