MOECKEL'S SHOPPING CENTER
In 1958, Elizabeth B. Moeckel and her husband, William J. Moeckel, purchased the Bestany Store on Lowell Road. William Moeckel had owned much of the surrounding property, and purchased the Bestany property following the death of Fred Bestany in 1957. In the years prior to his death, Bestany had been very involved in the establishment and growth of the Windham Fire Department. He also served as the town clerk in 1957. The Bestany's had acquired the property upon which the opened their store slightly more than a decade before they sold it to the Moeckel's, and was then renamed "Moeckel's Shopping Center." As noted on a 1959 receipt (pictured above) the store sold meat and groceries, as well as beer and newspapers. However, the store closed by 1964, when the property was sold to Ken Ray Laundromat.
Leave a Reply.
Derek Saffie is an avid Windham historian who enjoys researching and sharing his collection with all those interested in the history of the New England town.